Advanced Power Measurement and Analysis
Get more visibility into your power systems with Advanced Power Measurement and Analysis on the 4/5/6 Series MSO. The combination of the oscilloscope, analysis software, and a wide range of available voltage and current probes, enables you to perform automated, accurate power system measurements even if you are not a power conversion guru. The 12-bit analog-to-digital converters in these oscilloscopes deliver high-precision measurement data, and the pinch/swipe/zoom touch interface makes it easy to manage measurements. A rich set of graphical power analysis tools, high channel-counts, and large HD displays deliver a comprehensive view of your power system. The instruments support a wide range of voltage and current probes, including state-of-the-art IsoVu™ optically isolated voltage probes. The unmatched common mode rejection of IsoVu probes and the automation of Advanced Power Measurement and Analysis make an unbeatable combination for optimizing the latest GaN and SiC designs.
- Input measurements
- Power measures true power, apparent power, power factor, and phase angle
- Total Harmonic Distortion and Crest Factor measurements
- Harmonics measurements, bar charts, and tables
- Amplitude provides easy per-cycle measurements of voltage or current, including minimum, maximum, amplitude, and peak-to-peak
- Input Capacitance measures the capacitance value using voltage and current signals
- Inrush Current measures the peak current
- Switching Device measurements
- Switching Loss measures turn-on, turn-off, and conduction loss in switching devices
- Safe Operating Area (SOA) provides customizable safe operating area mask testing
- Timing Analysis enables easy analysis of pulse-width-modulated switching signals with cycle-by-cycle plots or histograms of pulse width, duty cycle, frequency, or period
- RDS(on) measures the dynamic resistance of the switching device when it is in the On state
- Magnetic Analysis measurements (available only in 5/6-PWR)
- Inductance measures inductance of the core
- Magnetic Property measures and plots the inductor B - H curve.
- Magnetic Loss measures and calculates total magnetic loss
- I vs. ∫V displays the plot of I and ∫V waveforms
- Output measurements
- Line Ripple measures the amount of AC signal related to the input line frequency.
- Switching Ripple measures the amount of AC signal related to the switching frequency.
- Efficiency measures the power circuit efficiency by dividing the measured output power by the measured input power
- Turn On Time measures the time delay between the input voltage to the device under test going 'high' to the output voltage reaching its steady state.
- Turn Off Time measures the time delay between the input voltage to the device under test going to zero state, to the output voltage reaching its zero state.
- Frequency response measurements(available only in 5/6-PWR)
- Control Loop Response (Bode) plots the frequency and phase response of a closed loop circuit, and automatically calculates the gain and the phase margins.
- Power Supply Rejection Ratio (PSRR) analyzes the ripple rejection capability of a DC-DC converter.
- Impedance Analysis enables 2-port impedance measurement of Power Distribution Networks(PDN) using the oscilloscope.
- Add, configure, and remove automated measurements using the 4/5/6 Series MSO’s pinch/swipe/zoom touch interface
- Easily document test results with automated report generation, including measurements, test results, and plots in a single, editable mht file or pdf file
- Utilizes optional and integrated Arbitrary/Function Generator for frequency response analysis (available only in 5/6-PWR). Also supports external AFG31000 Series function generator.
- Cover diverse applications with a wide range of voltage and current probes, including state-of-the-art IsoVu optically isolated voltage probes
- Configure any measurement and transfer any result via remote interface for automated testing applications
Power quality measurements, Current Harmonics, Input Capacitance, and Inrush Current are the four common sets of measurements made on the input section of a power supply, to analyze the effects of the power supply on the power line and evaluate the performance of the supply under various line conditions.
These measurements are optimized for line frequencies and are commonly performed at the AC line input of the power supply. They provide fast insight into the amount of power and the level of distortion at the input.
RMS voltage and current
True, apparent, and reactive power
THD and crest factor
- Input analysis
- True power, Apparent power, Power factor, Reactive power, Crest factor, Phase angle, THD, Harmonics, Input capacitance, Inrush current, D0-160G, Pre-compliance testing for EN61000-3-2, EN61000-3-2 AM14, and MIL-STD-1399 (400 Hz) standards
- Amplitude measurements
- Cycle Amplitude, Cycle Top, Cycle Base, Cycle Minimum, Cycle Maximum, and Cycle Peak-to-Peak
- Timing analysis
- Pulse width, Duty cycle, Period, and Frequency variation versus time
- Switching analysis
- Switching loss, Turn-on (Ton), Turn -off (Toff), Conduction loss (cond), Safe operating area (SOA), SOA with Mask testing, di/dt, dv/dt, and RDS(on)
- Magnetic analysis (available only in 5/6-PWR)
- Inductance, Magnetic Property, Magnetic Loss, and I vs.∫V
- Output analysis
- Ripple (line frequency, switching frequency), Efficiency, Turn On Time, Turn Off Time
- Frequency response analysis (available only in 5/6-PWR)
Bode and PSSR
Control Loop Response (Bode plot) and Power Supply Rejection Ratio (PSRR).
PSRR plots rejection ratio vs frequency. Control Loop Response (Bode plot) calculates gain and phase margin.
Requires TPP0502, two probes. Uses oscilloscope built-in generator or external Tektronix AFG 31000 Series.
Dynamic range: Bode is typically 55 dB and PSRR is typically 85 dB.
Frequency: 10 Hz to 50 MHz (with option AFG).
10 Hz to maximum sine frequency (with AFG31000 Series)
Amplitude: up to 5 V (needs Option AFG or external AFG31000 Series 10V p-p).
Requires Picotest isolation and injector transformers.
Impedance: Requires a TPR1000/4000 power rail probe or P6150 or Direct SMA cable with DC block.
Frequency: 10Hz to 50MHz for internal AFG and 10Hz to max of AFG31000 Series in case of external.
Minimum Impedance can be measured is 10 milli Ohm and maximum is 47 Ohms
- Time trend, Trajectory plot, Histogram, Bar graph, B-H curve, Inductance plot, I vs. ∫V, Phase, Gain, and Rejection ratio plots.
- MHT and PDF format, Data export to CSV format
- Degauss/Deskew (static)
- Automatic detection of probes, Auto Zero. User can deskew probes from the menus for each channel
- Source support
- Live analog signals, reference waveforms, and math waveforms
|New Instrument order option||4-PWR-BAS,4-PS2
5-PWR, 5-PS2, 5-PS2FRA
6-PWR, 6-PS2, 6-PS2FRA
|4 Series MSO (MSO44,MSO46)
5 Series MSO (MSO54, MSO56, MSO58, MSO58LP)
6 Series MSO (MSO64)
|Product upgrade option||SUP4-PWR-BAS
|4 Series MSO (MSO44,MSO46)
Floating licenses are transferrable from any 4 Series oscilloscope to any other 4 Series oscilloscope, for
use of one instrument at a time.
5 Series MSO (MSO54, MSO56, MSO58, MSO58LP)
Floating licenses are transferrable from any 5 Series oscilloscope to any other 5 Series oscilloscope, for use of one instrument at a time.
6 Series MSO (MSO64)
Floating licenses are transferrable from any 6 Series oscilloscope to any other 6 Series oscilloscope, for use of one instrument at a time.
Additional information about power analysis is available athttp://www.tek.com/application/power-supply-measurement-and-analysis.
Recommended probes and accessories
|AC/DC current probes||TCP0020, TCP0030A, TCP0150|
|AC current probes||TRCP0300, TRCP0600, TRCP3000|
|Medium-voltage differential probes||TDP0500, TDP1000|
|High-voltage differential probes||THDP0200, THDP0100, TMDP0200|
|IsoVu isolated differential probes||TIVM1/L, TIVH08/L, TIVH05/L, TIVH02/L|
|High-voltage passive probes||P5100A, P6015A|
|Deskew pulse generator||TEK-DPG|
|Power solution bundles||4-PS2
|Probes for frequency response analysis (supported only in 5/6-PWR)||TPP0502: Two probes
For Impedance measurement
|Accessories for frequency response analysis (supported only in 5/6-PWR)||Picotest Line injector J2120A for PSRR (10 Hz to 10 MHz)
Picotest Isolation transformers (for Bode) http://picotest.com:
Picotest transformers (for Impedance):
Power solution bundles
|5/6 Series MSO PS bundle options||Description|
|4-PS2||4-PWR-BAS, TCP0030A, THDP0200, 067-1686-xx deskew fixture|
|5-PS2||5-PWR, TCP0030A, THDP0200, 067-1686-xx deskew fixture|
|6-PS2||6-PWR, TCP0030A, THDP0200, 067-1686-xx deskew fixture|
|5-PS2FRA||5-PS2, two TPP0502 probes|
|6-PS2FRA||6-PS2, two TPP0502 probes|
Complete power probing portfolio
Use the following list of probes with option 4-PWR-BAS/5-PWR/6-PWR power to ensure complete solution to power measurement capabilities on the 5/6 Series MSO oscilloscopes.
|High voltage differential probes||The THDP0100/THDP0200/TMDP0200 high-voltage differential probes are the best choice for making non-ground referenced, floating measurements. These probes provide bandwidths to 200 MHz and voltage ranges up to 6000 V.|
|The P5200A/P5202A/P5205A/P5210A high-voltage differential probes are the best choice for making non-ground referenced, floating or isolated measurements. These probes provide bandwidths to 100 MHz and voltage ranges up to 5600 V.|
|Optically Isolated differential probes||The TIVM1, TIVH08, TIVH05, and TIVH02 optically-isolated differential probes are the best choice for accurately resolving high bandwidth, differential signals, ideal for testing wide bandgap designs. The probes are available in 3 m and 10 m lengths.
The TIVM1 provides 1 GHz bandwidth and can measure differential signals up to ±50 Vpk in the presence of common mode voltages up to 60 kV. The TIVH08, TIVH05, and TIVH02 provide 800 MHz, 500 MHz, and 200 MHz, respectively, and can measure differential signals up to ±2500 Vpk in the presence of common mode voltages up to 60 kV.
|Current probes||Tektronix offers a broad portfolio of current probes, including AC/DC current probes that provide bandwidths up to 120 MHz and best-in-class current clamp sensitivity down to 1 mA.|
|AC-only Rogowski probes include the TRCP300 (9 Hz to 30 MHz, 250 mA to 300 A peak), TRCP600 (12 Hz to 30 MHz, 500 mA to 600 A peak), and TRCP3000 (1 Hz to 16 MHz, 500 mA to 3000 A peak).|
|Mid-voltage differential probes||The TDP0500/TDP1000 medium-voltage differential probes are the best choice for making non-ground referenced, floating or isolated measurements. These probes provide bandwidths to 1 GHz and voltage ranges up to ±42 V (DC + pk AC).|
|Probes for control loop analysis and power supply rejection ratio||TPP0502 is the recommended passive probe FRA measurement. It has the attenuation of 2X and bandwidth of 500 MHz. It also offers low capacity loading.|
|Probes for Impedance measurement||TPR1000 and TPR4000 are the recommended probes for the Impedance measurement.
The TPR1000 and TPR4000 probes provide a low-noise measurement solution (oscilloscope and probe), which is critical to not confuse the noise of the oscilloscope and probe with the noise and ripple of the measured DC supply. The higher input impedance in the probes minimizes the oscilloscope loading effect on the DC rails (50 kΩ at DC).
P6150 and Direct SMA cable with DC Block can also be used for Impedance measurement.
For a complete listing of compatible probes for each oscilloscope, please refer tohttp://www.tek.com/probesfor specific information on the recommended models of probes and any necessary probe adapters.